A jewel of Breton gothic art :
In 1239, Bishop Reynaud started the building of the actual cathedral on the remnants of an ancient roman cathedral.
From 1850, an architect from Quimper, Joseph Biogt, started to restore the building, mainly by adding new furnitures, decorating chapels and replacing the windows destroyed under the French Revolution by newstained-glass windows.
Thanks to recent restauration works of the interior polychromes and ribbed ceilings in yellow and ochre and the white washing of the facings, the cathedral is a true revelation of 15th century architecture.
This colourful restoration was totally in the spirit of the first builders, in opposition to the austere look of religious monuments during the 19th century.